Picked this chair up from an estate sale in La Jolla (Bird Rock) today. The best way I’ve found [to search for] up and coming sales is to register with estatesales.net estatesales.org and yardsales.net AND/OR checking craigslist.org
Some of you may wonder…why bother….well see these sweet little legs? That and the fact that it was pretty sturdy.
First remove the existing seat with scissors (I’ve been known to use a saw depending on the thickness).
Cut the edges first and you can usually stick your foot through to get rid of the rest.
Wipe clean with a wet rag.
After it’s dry, this is where you can sand, paint, etc. However, I loved the chippy old black patina on the chair. I left it as is.
I looked up several other tutorials on pinterest and the web. You can create webbed seating with just about anything; twine, ties, fabric, belts, store bought webbing. However, I happened to purchase this box of old bridal leashing for horses ($5) at a garage sale last year in Arizona. I’ve used it for many purposes, purse straps, fanny pack straps, a dog collar. TODAY I thought would be the perfect opportunity to use it as webbing for the chair seat!!!!!!!!!
Can you tell I love to re-purpose?
Scroll to the bottom to view other ideas for webbing material.
First, layout your pieces to get a feel for the look/layout.
I started with the two vertical outside pieces. Pull the edges taught and staple. I had to use 12mm staples so they were thick enough. I started with 8mm but they pulled right out. Keep this in mind when selecting your materials and supplies.
I fold the edges under and then stapled. Cut off excess.
Staple the other side. Repeat on the alternate side.
I realized that have an odd amount of webbing made it symmetrical…wouldn’t have figured it that way though.
After you’ve finished with all the vertical webbing. Weave in the other.
As you start with the horizantal webbing use a pattern. Over first, then under. On the next one do the opposite under first, then over. I used different thicknesses for webbing and repeated a pattern.
As you can see, I stapled each multiple times to secure and cut off the excess.